Re: Oracle 10g - Diminishing DBA roles ...

From: Hans Forbrich <news.hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 12:56:08 GMT

Daniel Morgan wrote:

> Michael D. Long wrote:
>

>> "Noons" <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
>>
>>>Ah yes.  And don't forget: if the app server is at 100% CPU usage
>>>and the db server is idling at 5% IO and 10% CPU, the performance
>>>problem "must be with bloody Oracle".  Or so the mantra goes
>>>with "perfect" Java developers...

>> A perfect symptom of bad application coding if I've ever seen one. Good
>> developers (regardless of language) are few and far between, and those
>> that really understand scalable applications and bottleneck elimination
>> are even
>> fewer. I've often debated whether software development shouldn't be a
>> licensed profession.
>
> It should be.
>
> But unlike medicine, law, and engineering, it may be too late to take
> the necessary steps.

Never too late ... it took hundreds of years befor engineers created professional associations.

A major challenge I see would come from Microsoft, as they have worked very, very hard to make programming (as well as computing in general) a commodity though such wonderful products as Visual Basic. They stand a lot to loose.

<sigh>
/Hans Received on Tue Sep 21 2004 - 07:56:08 CDT