Re: switch from file system to raw device

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 20 Sep 2004 13:23:06 -0700

Igor <igor.news_at_merkudelete.org> wrote in message news:<pan.2004.09.17.07.17.17.17468_at_merkudelete.org>...
> On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 17:00:09 -0700, Joel Garry wrote:
>
> Hi Joel,
>
> >> My company has acquired another company and thinks about concentrating
> >> dbs and applications on our machines to eliminate machines on their side
> >> to save money from technical support contract. They have db on file system
> >> and when we transport it onto our site (after two or three test rounds) I
> >> thought to take the chance and put it onto raw device. All our dbs are on
> >> raw device, so why should I have one on file system (yeah, to make
> >> comparisons ...)?
> >
> > This aquiring thing is where lots of opportunities lie. As you see,
> > you have to merge the systems, and inevitably it is in favor of one
> > over the other.
> As to the merging... both companies, or ex-companies, have SAP running.
> They came to 4.6 earlier than we did, but now we are on the same. Not that
> this is of any particular need. The two SAPs will merge, but they will not
> merge just with a copy of the client (speaking of SAP client, not desktop
> client software) into our system. Working procedures differ widely between
> the two companies, so a completely new SAP system will be put together and
> selected data from one and the other SAP will flow into the new SAP
> system. This new SAP will be on AIX 5L and SAP will be 4.7 Enterprise with
> Oracle 9i. Not that I don't want to have it, that's just state of the art
> today. Read, new machines, new installation, new disks and so on.

Sounds like a fair amount of time for job security, to me.

> In the meantime, why should the present SAP system in the "other" company
> continue running on old machines with $$$-maintenance as we have enough
> resources to accomodate their SAP inhouse? That would be something like
> 40K Euro/year saved. So, this is where my question about switching from
> file system to raw device came from, as their system is on file system.

Yeah, that does sound cheaper to switch.

> As for the new opportunities... my boss has, in front of our suggestions,
> prepared a plan for classes for 68K EUR (8 persons). No one really thinks
> that company will let us attend those classes, but last word is not spoken
> yet. Rumors go round, that it is cheaper (didn't say better, more
> secure, more handy) to outsource all the stuff, I might end up in cleaning
> the streets then (all right, might not come that far, but in
> the case of outsourcing, who will need my skills anymore in this company?).

I've personally seen a number of cases where the outsourcers simply hire the technical staff. When it comes down to it, it's just middle management that is an easily replaced plugin "resource." :-)

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
spam=scam http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20040920/news_mz1b20web.html