Re: Moving .dbf file from one moun to other mount

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 20 Sep 2004 07:41:59 -0700

umeshoracle_at_yahoo.com (U C) wrote in message news:<fd94e273.0409200246.466bfbad_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi,
> I am having two mounts where my .dbf files are store
> 1) oracle is first mount: its has near 4 .dbf file which carries data
> of organizatoin. with path as /oracle/data/.dbf
> 2) ora second mount: This mount also has 1 .dbf file which also
> carries data of customers. physical path /ora/.dbf
>
> both mount has different physical path.
>
> Now I want to move .dbf from mount 2 to mount 1 along with data
>
> what steps should i follow to achieve , this is mision critical for
> us.
>
> Please help
>
> regards
> U C

IC, how to move Oracle database files is documented in the DBA Administration manual. Basically:

Take the tablespace that is associated with the file offline

Copy the existing file to the new location using appropriate OS copy function

Using either the alter tablespace rename datafile or alter database rename datafile commands (See SQL manual) rename the files in Oracle

Bring the tablespace back online, access. If successful remove the old file at the OS level

The procedure varies for the system tablespace. See the manuals. Be sure to watch your typing carefully while doing this.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Mon Sep 20 2004 - 09:41:59 CDT