Re: Oracle 10g - Diminishing DBA roles ...

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 20 Sep 2004 07:33:38 -0700

"Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com> wrote in message news:<1095673924.662376.36040_at_k17g2000odb.googlegroups.com>...

> effectively from the administrators/analysts responsible for a system.
> I suppose at least with ASM you can't put other apps on the same disks.

:) and therein lies its main strength!
Anything to stop a silly sysadmin from dumping temp print areas in my redo log file system...

> > Function Based Indexes - Brilliant. How else can I do case
> insensitivity
> > without clobbering my database with full table scans?
>
> Absolutely.

Same way others do it: create redundant columns with the function result and a bunch of triggers to have them updated/inserted automagically. The Oracle FBI is still by far the best method.

> > Wait Interface - Brilliant. You can't tune without it.
>
> A bit of an achilles heel waiting to happen methinks though. I see more
> and more proposals for multiple system, multiple tier, multiple
> technology it systems (I refuse to use the word solutions). If the
> problem is outside the db then timing data from the database can
> certainly inform you of that, if there are n other uninstrumented tiers
> out there then pinpointing the problem still tends to be a rather
> unfortunate matter of checklists, ratios and guess work (sar or vmstat
> anyone? timing information from ejbs/.net assemblies?).

Ah yes. And don't forget: if the app server is at 100% CPU usage and the db server is idling at 5% IO and 10% CPU, the performance problem "must be with bloody Oracle". Or so the mantra goes with "perfect" Java developers...

> and so far as I can see guaranteeing consistency after further business
> transactions have happened is well nigh impossible. Obviously you

Ah! But isn't consistency a business rule and therefore the responsibility of the app mob? Let's see them take it in for once...

> I've never been exposed to the partitioning option *in practice* - yes
> I know how it works, but there is a difference between running the hr
> schema samples and homegrown tests and looking after an app that uses
> the feature (or modifying a supplied app so it performs acceptably :)).

Or finding out its limitations (it was in V8.0, but still a nasty one) after you have committed the shop to use it to handle a multiTb db... Received on Mon Sep 20 2004 - 09:33:38 CDT