Re: oracle grid

From: Hans Forbrich <news.hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 15:42:55 GMT

Noons wrote:

> Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message

>> There is no relationship in the Oracle world between RAC and GRID. You
>> can have RAC without GRID, GRID without RAC, both or neither.

> I wonder then why Oracle includes RAC as part of their grid
> infrastructure?

Everything I've read implies that grid really is concerned about the effective use and 'on demand redistribution' of CPU cycles. That's defined and implemented at the application level, whereas we tend to deal with the data level in this forum.

My interpretation is that RAC provides a service that *can* be essential to [the concept of] grid. To make the grid effective, data has to be available whenever the grid needs it.

Then again, distributed database fits right in there as well. As do a lot of other Oracle [database and app server] features and capabilities ... all being parts of the infrastructure that can be used to implement grid. Received on Sun Sep 19 2004 - 10:42:55 CDT