Re: stored outlines used but wrong plan executed

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 05:49:36 +0000 (UTC)

Note in-line

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Optimising Oracle Seminar - schedule updated Sept 2nd

"Arik" <arik_samson_at_excite.com> wrote in message

> The way I dit it was first create outline on the original query with
> "alter session set create_stored_outlines=<category>. Then I created
> another outline in the same category with "create or replace
> outline...." on the same query but with a hint. Afterwords I swapped
> the ol$hints lines between the two outlines so that the original query
> ended up with the hints from the modified query.
> The second query (with the hint) picks up an index and runs in a
> jiffy. The one without the hint does a full table scan and it keeps
> scanning even with the outline.

This method is not guaranteed to work on Oracle 9. (And if you got the idea from a Metalink note, the method is incompletely described even for 8i), How are you checking to see if Oracle picked up the hacked outline ? Did you mark it as unused, then see if it changed to 'used' after the call to the original statement ? Did you check in v$sql to find the SQL and see if the OUTLINE_CATEGORY on v$sql showed that the outline has been used.