Re: stored outlines used but wrong plan executed

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 05:41:45 +0000 (UTC)

Note in-line

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Optimising Oracle Seminar - schedule updated Sept 2nd

"Christian Antognini" <christian.antognini_at_trivadis.com> wrote in message

> I already had similar problems. Since outlines are hints and, like any
> hints, sometimes the CBO decide not using them, it happens that an outline
> simply doesn't work :-(

You've got the argument the wrong way round. Since outlines are hints, we can infer that a complete and legal set of hints cannot be ignored by the optimiser.
> How did you modify the outline? If you used the Outline Editor, did you
get
> the "correct" plan when you tried to validate the changes?

Excellent question - and the other important question is: "How did the OP decide that Oracle was using the outline ?"