Re: Insufficient Privileges with '/ as sysdba'

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 11:39:25 +1000

adamenos wrote:

> Make sure that the dba group is created and that you log into your OS > as a user that belongs to the dba group.

It's not the dba group. It's whatever group was declared to have administrative privileges at the time the installation took place. That is *usually* the dba group, but it could be all sorts of other things as well.

> Or, you may have specified remote_login_passwordfile=EXCLUSIVE in your > init.ora

That makes zero difference, actually. That the init.ora says to use a password file would not stop a preliminary check of the O/S groups and memberships.

The parameter says "I have this sort of password file" not "Please don't do O/S authentication".

> and you now have a corrupt password file.  If you have a
> corrupt password file then you need to shutdown the database, rebuild
> the password file and then restart your database.

Re-creating a password file does not require the database to be shut down, for the very simple (and obvious) reason that if it did, how would you connect to the database in order to issue the shutdown command?!

Just delete it, and use orapwd to re-create it. No shutdown necessary.

All of which is besides the point anyway, because the guy is using O/S authentication, not password file authentication.

> When you login as
> sysdba you should use the password that you set in your password file.

Well, yes... except that as he has demonstrated, he has no problem connecting with a password (indicating that the password file is fine), but that the problem is with his O/S authentication mechanism.