Re: database in firewall

From: adamenos <adamenos_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 18 Sep 2004 17:54:53 -0700

Take a look at the Oracle Net configuration guide (online at www.oracle.com). In order to connect to a database you need to be able to connect to the listener for that database. Sometimes, due to the way the system administrator has the server configured, the listener is unable to work using the default configuration. The default configuration of the listener uses port redirection. If the listener is listening on port 3152 for database connection requests and a request is received then the listener will dynamically assign a new port number for that session to communicate on. If the ports have been locked down by the sys admin then the listener will be unable to assign the session a port number and the connection will not be made.

We had a similar issue at work where we had to allow a range of ports to be available for the listener to use.