Re: Oracle 10g - Diminishing DBA roles ...

From: JEDIDIAH <jedi_at_nomad.mishnet>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 16:59:37 -0500

On 2004-09-17, Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote:
> Dick wrote:
>
>> Niall Litchfield wrote:
>>
>>> Comments embedded
>>> "Dick" <urdick2000_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message

        Anyone that thinks that OEM (and friends) have managed to reach the level of usability and polish in 10g that one can expect from the Microsoft equivalents is just kidding themselves. Oracle needs to at least bring it's client tools on par with it's own tool vendors (Quest, Embarcadero) first.

>>> We use both Oracle and MSSQL at my place of work - and, somewhat
>>> unusually, I believe that both are excellent products.
>>> Oracle however does not in any sense look like sql server, and Oracle
>>> aren't doing much to make it look like that at all. I can only assume
>>> that you are referring to the various manageability enhancements in
>>> 9i/10g. lets try a few

[deletia]
>> For that matter, How
>> many DBAs really understand those?
>
> 100% of them do. Because anyone who doesn't understand them isn't actually a
> DBA. A junior DBA, perhaps. A 'thinking about it and maybe one day' DBA.
> But no, they're not a DBA as such.
>
>> Even if somebody does( Docs,
>> Training, Google Search...), Do they really know how to use it ?
>
> Of course. Because real DBAs have PCs at home where they test and research
> and work things out. So even if their particular work requirements mean
> they don't get to implement something in real-life practice, they're ready
> for the day when business requirements change.

        Single? Expecting to be single soon?

--

	vi isn't easy to use.				 |||
							/ | \