Re: 3GB RAM usage by Oracle

From: JEDIDIAH <jedi_at_nomad.mishnet>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 16:08:37 -0500

On 2004-08-29, Don Burleson <don_at_burleson.cc> wrote: [deletia]
> By the way, (lest I not alienate you by agreeing with you), I've also
> seen problems with super-large data caches (for high-update databases)
> and I think that data buffer caches will soon be as obsolete as drum
> devices!
>
> When SSD gets to be cheaper than disk, the data buffer caches become
> an unnecessary nuisance. It's coming sooner than you think. . . .

        Yes, but as SSD gets cheaper the datasets get larger. Every mom & pop operation wants enough data on everyone/everthing to set themselves up as their own version of Big Brother.

        Although, once you start getting into SAN all of that starts to muddle anyways. You can use part of the cache in a Sun 9980 as an SSD if you were so inclined.

--

	vi isn't easy to use.				 |||
							/ | \