Re: restricting listener access

From: FM <fabrizio.magni_at_mycontinent.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 18:42:10 GMT

Sybrand Bakker wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 15:55:30 GMT, FM <fabrizio.magni_at_mycontinent.com>
> wrote:
>

>>Sometimes I miss the ironic side of a post...
>>Are you serious?!?!?

> The obvious solution would be reconfigure the listener and place a
> password in listener.ora
> A solution you reject in your initial post.
> If you reject sensible solutions you shouldn't be surprised someone is
> trying to be funny.
>

> --
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

I'm new to this newsgroup (or to newsgroup in general) so I wasn't sure if it was a serious reply or a joke.

However I don't believe a password is a good solution because you would have to set it in your booting script.

The password doesn't solve a couple of trouble I saw after system migration.

Two days ago an old and forgotten system was shutdown by a system administrator. On that system there was an old listener definition pointing to the migrated system (the ip was exchanged after migration). The boot-script shut down the production listener. It would have happened even with a password (if it is possible to pass a password via script).

It was not the first time I saw a similar situation but they were errors. It could be done deliberately by a milicious attacker.

I was simply asking if there is a better solution than a password or a firewall.

Is there?

--

Fabrizio Magni

fabrizio.magni_at_mycontinent.com