Re: oracle 8 and 9 in the same box

From: Igor <igor.news_at_merkudelete.org>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 13:45:04 +0200

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 09:27:26 -0700, yls177 wrote:

> Hi, is it possible to have both oracle 8 and 9 in the same box?
> Factors to be consider
>
> 1) hardware, disk space, performance,
> 2) oracle client configuratoin
> 3) listener port (should have 2 separate ports)
> 4) tnsnames
>
> not too sure about point (2)
>
> Thanks

Of course, no problem. We have running 7.3.4 and 8.0.6 (yeah, I know that these are old versions) on the same AIX 4.3.3 box. As for client side, e.g. we have an oper user for the export procedure (one part of the backups we drive is export). The procedure connects to the db, asks which version and sets ORACLE env for the user/procedure as needed. In fact, we have client software installed for 7, 8.0 and 8.1. I see no problem.
If you decide to have a single listener listening for different installations/db versions, no problem, maybe it is preferrable to have the highest version listener running. But, we also had a configuration where a listener per version was running. Just pay attention not to garble with the ports.

HTH, best regards, Igor Received on Fri Sep 17 2004 - 06:45:04 CDT