OH YEAH [2nd part] switch from file system to raw device

From: Igor <igor.news_at_merkudelete.org>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 08:25:35 +0200

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 14:01:34 +0200, Igor wrote:

> Hello,
> anyone has an idea, whether I can switch datafiles of Oracle (8.0.6)
> from file system to raw device (raw logical volume in AIX, e.g.)?
> Any documentation?
>
> Thanks a lot and best regards,
> Igor

So, dear Sirs,
that just it. I've done it.

>See that little "seek=RecordNumber"?

Yeah, that was the clou. In the first place I was troubled, as in the man page IBM writes
- skip=blocks
- seek=records
What the hell is the difference? Why do they use different words for the same thing? Well, try it out, then you'll see. And I tried.

I took the now running file system database, put all the tablespaces in backup mode (alter tablespace X begin backup) and dd-ed the file system datafiles onto raw logical volume datafiles I prepared already. dd bs=4096 seek=1 if=/home00/oracle/oradata/A2/sys001.dbf of=/dev/rlvA_sys001

So with all datafiles.
Then I changed the sql script to reflect new position (take in mind that, e.g. dbv wants *.dbf as file name, so create logical links pointing to the rlv's) and created the control files. Then recovery. Everything is up and running.

I am very sorry, that you are not around, as I will now invite my collegues for a drink (well, at this time of the day it will be a coffee ;-)

Thanks for all your comments and contributes. You got me on the right way. And don't exagerate: don't take your hat off, I had just some time and resource to make some tests, you would have come to the same result in just a no time.

Have a very nice day.
Hope to read you soon again.

Best regards, Igor Received on Fri Sep 17 2004 - 01:25:35 CDT