Re: Oracle 9.2 - runInstaller hangs

From: FM <fabrizio.magni_at_mycontinent.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 17:53:02 +0200

Howard J. Rogers wrote:

> Thomas Aichinger wrote:
>

>>Hi!
>>
>>I tryed to install oracle9.2.0.2 on a suse 2.4.21 kernel.
>>I did as the doku said. Kernel parameters, oracle user account, add
>>dba group, set DISPLAY ....
>>
>>When I start the runInstaller the universal installer 2.2 comes up
>>with the welcome screen. There are serveral buttons (exit, help,
>>installed products, previous, next, deinstall products and about)
>>
>>Nothing happens when I click on most buttons. Only "About" and
>>"Deinstall" come up with a new window. All other buttons show no
>>reaction.
>>
>>And I'm so keen to know what happens on "Next".
>>
>>Is there anyone who could help me?
>>
>>Thanks
>>Thomas

> Red Hat Advanced Server 3 also comes with the 2.4.21 kernel out of the box,
> and it's a royal pain in the bum to install 9i onto it. I don't know if the
> same would be true for Suse with that kernel, but I suspect so.
>
> Anyway, the short answer (for RHAS3) is that you have to obtain 4 patches
> from Metalink, one of which you have to install before you can even invoke
> the Oracle Universal Installer, and the rest of which have to be installed
> after the install completes (producing a number of link phase errors on the
> way).
>
> Oh... and it then still won't work properly until you upgrade to 9.2.0.4,
> which requires another patch from Metalink, this time a 362.9MB one.
>
> Did I mention you have to downgrade your gcc and g++ libraries too? No??
> Well, you do.
>
> What fun we used to have as the installation took forever! What larks!!
>
> If you are interested in at least seeing how 9i gets sort-of installed on
> RHAS3, on the grounds that with the same kernel it's likely to be true for
> Suse too, then visit www.puschitz.com.
>
> And then the next couple of questions arise: are you really wedded to 9i, or
> would 10g do? Because 10g goes straight on, no fuss, no worries.
>
> And if you really are going to insist on Oracle 9i, do you really have to
> insist on Suse 9.0? Because 9i installs onto Suse 7.3 no fuss, no worries,
> too. I realise that's a geriatric distro, but it at least works.
>
> It's just the particular combination you seem to be after that is do-able
> but is simultaneously a pain in the posterior.
>
> Regards
> HJR

Suse linux enterprise server 8 and oracle9i:

kernel 2.4.19 -> you need to install SP3 to switch to a certified configuration,
install gcc_old and orarun (on the distribution CD), *at this point you have user, groups, init script, and environment ready* modify parameters and env at will,
you are ready to install the 9.2.0.1 but be ready for the relinking part which needs some work.

if you start from 9.2.0.4 CDs everything should go fine without particular troubles... but you don't have to install gcc_old.

I admit I prefer suse above redhat:

Yesterday I had an oracle seminar: RAC 10g on redhat AS3. I started at 9:00 and finished the installation at 16:00 (with a short pause of 30 minutes) and was the only one in the course succeding. (Even with the help of 2 oracle guys and a redhat one plus the operating system already installed).

"Out of the box" are not the words I'd use for RAC 10g. Now I'm curios to see how many hours on other distributions (starting from SLES and debian).

If only debian would be supported...

--
Fabrizio Magni

fabrizio.magni_at_mycontinent.com