Cognos Impromptu

From: Vikas Agnihotri <usenet_at_vikas.mailshell.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 10:08:44 -0400

Does anyone have experience working with Cognos Impromptu against Oracle 9.2?

I am getting frustrated with Cognos' seeming inability to use any Oracle-specific advanced features. All it seems to be able to handle is generic table/column/view stuff.

Does anyone know if I can use, for example,

1. refcursors
2. CURSOR() expressions in queries
3. Analytic functions
4. dbms_session.set_context() before running the Cognos report. This
sets a parameter to a view that has (where c1=sys_context(...) and by pushing the predicate where it belongs, it makes the view run much faster)

(4) above is really what is impeding me right now. Any way this can be done in Cognos?

I find it hard to believe that the premier BI tool out there cannot leverage all the nice new features in Oracle.

Thanks Received on Thu Sep 16 2004 - 09:08:44 CDT