Re: Max Size Datafile in 10g

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: 16 Sep 2004 06:39:02 -0700

Hi Howard

I said I didn't want to do the maths - its all your fault, and bear in mind this is maths from an economist.

the max size of a datafile is 2^32 blocks. (bigfile) the max no of datafiles is 65533 (lets take a short cut cos its absurd anyway and say its 64k = 2^16 files.
the max block size is 32k = 2^15 bytes

so I reckon that gives the maximum size of an oracle database as

(2^15) * (2^16) * (2^32) = 2^63 bytes = 8 Exabytes

So I reckon (just under) 8 Exabytes is the largest Database you can have and it would be composed of 64k tablespaces each composed of one 128 terabyte file.

As far as peta-byte sized databases go I suspect there are several, even non intelligence ones, mostly associated with highly impressive and highly expensive science. (I'm thinking particle physics and not molecular biology though).

Niall

p.s. I'm happy to conclude that we don't need to bother about physical database size limits (other than what hardware and os can we run for it) for the supported lifetime of Oracle 10g, and to be honest probably longer - where are you going to get a grid that can adequately manage all that data. Received on Thu Sep 16 2004 - 08:39:02 CDT