Re: Max Size Datafile in 10g

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 21:56:47 +1000

Niall Litchfield wrote:

> comments below
> koert54 wrote:

>> Connor,
>>
>> Any idea how they managed to do is ? I guess the DBA increased in

> size for
>> bigfile tablespaces ...
>>
>> kind regards
>>

> Its an interesting guess, but seems to be wrong. Before I get into that
> though - no-one seems to have answered Howard's question about the
> number of files you can have in a bigfile tablespace. the number of
> files you can have in such a tablespace is exactly one.

Whilst I mull over the detail of your post, just a quick 'thank you' for that answer. I should have done the test myself a while ago...

So: I can have an 8 Exabyte tablespace, comprised of one single 8 Exabyte data file. Right?

I guess I'm still confused: can I still have 64,000-ish such tablespaces?

So that my total database storage is whatever 64,000 times a stupidly large number is?

That doesn't seem to square with the discussion about 'there will be *peta*byte-sized databases real soon now', because it would imply Oracle is actually and already ready for the Yentabyte database...

I suppose I will have to stop being lazy and see for myself... Now where did I put that 60 Yentabyte Seagate USB hard drive...

It all still seems like just so much navel-gazing to me!

Regards
HJR Received on Thu Sep 16 2004 - 06:56:47 CDT