Re: oradim - return codes??

From: Yong Huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 15 Sep 2004 09:20:55 -0700

Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net> wrote in message news:<XCp1d.5019$KU5.4941_at_edtnps89>... ...
> Haven't tried uwin .... does ps interact with the Windows-originated
> processes? Can you see smon?
>
> /Hans

Since an Oracle "process" is an OS thread in the Windows world, there's no way to see the name of the thread, because threads do not have names. Win32 CreateThread() function takes 6 parameters. But none is thread name. There's no such concept. (I believe Visual Studio debugging window allows you to set thread name but it looks like it's used by VS only for debugging purposes.) Win32 CreateProcess() does allow you to set a process name but it's irrelevant here since we're talking about threads in the process. I.e., even if Oracle kernel developers decide to set the process name to be oracleORCL instead of oracle.exe which is the executable image name (by default), it still doesn't allow you to see which thread in it is smon.

To OP, oradim return code is documented in Metalink Note:260263.1. Not very useful though. Also see Bug:3340439 for the same information.

Yong Huang Received on Wed Sep 15 2004 - 11:20:55 CDT