Re: pct_increase is null

From: <Kenneth>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 16:09:49 GMT

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 13:52:05 +0100, "Anthony Hogan" <ahoganXX_at_XXinerza.com> wrote:

>8.1.7 on windows 2K professional.
>
>Hello All,
>I have been examining dba_tables on an instance in preparation for migration
>to 9.2. The curious thing is that the pct_increase value is null for all
>tables in the (third party) user schema. No errors appear in the logs.
>I must admit I'm at a loss as to how exactly this came about: AFAIK alter
>table (storage pctincrease) will not accept null. It's possible that someone
>(another dba) modified the data dictionary.
>I propose altering the value to 0 using alter table...
>
>Do you have any comments on:
>a) the possible cause of the null values
>b) my proposed solution
>c) how on earth the instance is still upright??
>
>TIA
>Anthony Hogan

Hi Anthony,

a)The null value is almost certainly inherited from the tablespace(s) in which the tables reside. And those tablespaces are almost certainly locally managed , auto-allocated type.

auto-allocation locally managed tablespaces have pct_increase NULL, because the next extent size is calculated by oracle and unpredictable by nature (though you can observe the extent sizing follow a certain pattern, Oracle does not guarantee that pattern to hold).

Don't try to change the storage parameters for the tables, cause you can't. And you probably don't need to.

b) No problem => No solution needed.

c) Your database is, at least regarding the pct_increase issue, perfectly healthy.