Re: Max Size Datafile in 10g

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 15 Sep 2004 06:08:38 -0700

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:<4147d493$0$23893$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> > Cern, for instance, will generate around 10 Petabytes of info a year
> > when they fire the accelerator up. It could run for 10-20 years.
> It was a good answer. But I have to say, a little cynically, I doubt the
> world will be a better place for all this data.
>
> Seems to me that in the rush to capture everything, we've forgotten how to
> precis or discriminate between the worthless and the priceless.
>
> But that's a topic for another day.
>
> Thanks for the link, by the way.
>
> Regards
> HJR
Just one small remark about CERN to point out that sometimes huge data doesn't mean worthless heap of everything. I had a small discussion with the guy working for CERN on this collider business and if I understand him correctly (probably not) the reason for this huge storage is this:

The very principle of research with colliders is to bounce various particles against each other and waiting what is going to happen. It can be described as some odd kind of lottery, because almost all collisions are not winning (e.g. nothing interesting happened) and only just one in millions can be a catch. The problem is that you can't tell if something happened or not just by "looking" at. So the way how to deal with this is to store data about all collisions and then use complicated program analysing certain patterns to get the winning ticket. The probability of getting the game winner is increasing with increasing of data available for analysis. So they not only want to store really huge amount of data, but the also need them.

--
Dusan Bolek
http://www.db-support.com

Email: spambin_at_seznam.cz
Pls add "Not Guilty" to the subject, otherwise your email will face an
unpleasant end as SPAM.