Re: Open Source Oracle?

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 14 Sep 2004 22:16:09 -0700

ctcgag_at_hotmail.com wrote in message news:<20040914182447.217$IN_at_newsreader.com>...

> On the other hand, I imagine a lot of people who use Oracle 9i now are only
> using it because they were basically forced out of Oracle 7 by desupport.
> I don't think it would be good for Oracle sales to essentially tell people
> "If you hold out on doing upgrades for long enough, we will eventually give
> you what you have now, for free, forever, and stop bugging you." Too many
> current paying customers might take them up on that offer.

There is also the other kind of customer. The one that hangs on to a desupported release despite repeated written warnings they will have problems with getting anything fixed or anything developed for it.

And then decides to move away from Oracle because it is "old technology".

It is surprising how many times I've seen this one. Quite common around this neck of the woods. Received on Wed Sep 15 2004 - 00:16:09 CDT