Re: Max Size Datafile in 10g

From: Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 02:47:33 GMT

Joel Garry wrote:
> "Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:<4146fc78$0$5727$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
>

>>I was pretty certain 8 Exabytes was the total per-tablespace limit, but I
>>was just wondering...
>>
>>If I thought for a minute that anybody on the face of the planet, apart from
>>the CIA, actually *needed* 8 Exabytes, I'd care enough to look it up...

> Rich Niemec in one of his uplifting flights of fancy seminars asked
> people to email him ideas of what you could use such an amount of
> information for. I don't believe anyone came up with anything good.
> He referred to some research done at UCLA on the total information
> quantity in the world currently at 1 Exabyte, but I don't recall who
> did it.
>
> jg
> --
> @home.com is bogus.
> http://www.oit.ucla.edu/Documents/10

Two potential areas that I know of (at least, we cite them as the reason we lifted the restrictions in 10g) that may cause data explosions in the next 5 years

Life sciences (storage of 'individualized' genetic code maps ?) and CERN (the new linear accelerator and the hunt for the God particle) Received on Tue Sep 14 2004 - 21:47:33 CDT