Re: Open Source Oracle?

From: Igor Racic <igor.racicC_at_freesurf.fr_no_C>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 22:37:55 +0200

Howard J. Rogers wrote:
> I wish Oracle Corp. would release obsolete versions (7 and 8.0, for example)
> as open source.
>
> Just because those versions don't have Java, XML and other whistles and
> bells, it doesn't mean they wouldn't make a fine replacement for the MySQL
> and Postgress stuff that usually gets included in all the normal Linux
> distributions these days.
>
> Fat chance, of course.
>
> Just wishing and idly dreaming...
>
> Regards
> HJR
I think no one here wants that mySql/Postgres does to Oracle what Linux did/does/will do to Unix world. Open source things are coming. And they are almost here. Oracle will have to face them.
But there is a big question how to find a way for Oracle and other big guys - how to fit in that.
Prices will drop and that won't be the same game anymore. I suppose, it will be as in car industry - biggest fights will be on "low" level.

Of course open source would give a fly in deeper understanding of many hidden things. Looking in code, you would know exactly why some things happen. Things like "rebuild indexes" and other myths would not be widespread to this level if we had it already. Level of knowledge would be higher. Finding a competent guy will be easier. Also, questions, big questions, rise for people who live from Oracle knowledge.
One-dimensional Oracle guys will be highly cut at best and they will mutate to adapt to new environment.
Of course, experts will be less touched.

In any scenario, nothing will be static or as it was. Changes will happen. Giving just a binary would just put some delay, in my opinion.

Just my 2c

Igor

P.S. It looks like Nostradamus wrote it :-) Received on Tue Sep 14 2004 - 15:37:55 CDT