Re: Max Size Datafile in 10g

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 05:10:41 +1000

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14117_01/server.101/b10755/limits002.htm

> Yes, they show a limit of 64K files/tablespace.
>
> They also show typical file size limited to 2^22 blocks (but OS
> dependant), traditional tablespaces limited to 2^22 blocks, bigfile
> tabelspaces limited to 2^32 blocks, and blocks limited to 2^15 = 32KB.
>

>> I was pretty certain 8 Exabytes was the total per-tablespace limit, but I
>> was just wondering...
>>
>> If I thought for a minute that anybody on the face of the planet, apart
>> from the CIA, actually needed 8 Exabytes, I'd care enough to look it
>> up...
>>

> However, for proper national security, I'm sure you'll agree that a year's
> worth of full motion video surveillance (2GB/hour [2^32] * 8760 hours/year
> [2^13]) for each of the 8 billion [2^34] individuals is required - giving
> [a
> baseline requirement of of 2^79 bytes.
>
> And then look at http://pages.prodigy.net/jhonig/bignum/qaearth.html

Scary, isn't it?!

You'll be telling me you need to store more bytes than there have been seconds since the time of the big bang next...

Thanks for the follow-up, though.
Regards
HJR Received on Tue Sep 14 2004 - 14:10:41 CDT