Re: Compatibility, Record level issues in 'RMAN duplicate target database'?

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 05:05:43 +1000

qazmlp wrote:

> My requirement is to duplicate the database from Machine-1 into
> Machine-2. Using RMAN utility seems to be a way to go.
>
> Before start using it, I would like to know about how exactly the
> 'RMAN' utility works for 'duplicate target database' command for each
> of the following scenarios?
> 1) There is already a Database existing in Machine-2 with all the
> user Tables empty. The DB schema in Machine-1 & Machine-2 are fully
> compatible.
> 2) There is already a Database existing in Machine-2 with all the
> user Tables empty. The DB schema in Machine-1 & Machine-2 are _not_
> compatible.
> 3) There is already a Database existing in Machine-2 with user Tables
> filled with some records. The DB schema in Machine-1 & Machine-2 are
> fully compatible.
>
> What will be the result of 'RMAN duplicate target database' command in
> such scenarios?
>
> Thanks!

I don't wish to be a pain about it, but you have defined your questions so well, and the various scenarios are so specific, why don't you just test it for yourself and tell *us*?!

It's called research.

Otherwise you are either (a) asking someone else to do your research for you, which is not really on or (b) trusting that someone else will have previously attempted one or more of these very precisely-defined scenarios, which is unlikely.

If that really isn't possible, then I'll take a wild guess and say that if RMAN won't duplicate data files on top of existing ones, and will thus error out in all three scenarios.

Regards
HJR Received on Tue Sep 14 2004 - 14:05:43 CDT