Re: Open Source Oracle?

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 16:33:41 +1000

Daniel Morgan wrote:

> Howard J. Rogers wrote:
>

>> Daniel Morgan wrote:
>>

>> Besides, as you point out: MS *is* putting that sort of stuff into their
>> product, so there's less loss in Oracle being open about how they did 15
>> years ago. :) They might be giving away "trade secrets", but they're
>> secrets nobody really wants to see any more because they've independently
>> acquired the technology.
>>
>> Regards
>> HJR
>
> Puting it in at a very very high cost in effort and dollars. I can't see
> Larry giving Bill anything ... and visa versa of course.

But I think you're looking at it a bit short-termedly. First, there's the issue of the GPL, which Microsoft have compared to a communist conspiracy and a virus.

Second, and maybe of more importance, Larry would *love* to give Bill something -so long as it involved pain and suffering. If free versions of Oracle were taking "marketshare", how long do you reckon before Bill has to do something similar with SQL Server 6 or 7? Look at the discounts he's forced to offer places like China and in South America because of the whisper of a threat to chuck out Windows and install Linux.

Third, and maybe even better. If I worked in the Justice Department, I think I'd smile benignly on the takeover plans of any company which is giving valuable product away for free. Clearly, if they're doing that, it can't hurt to let them take over, Oh, I dunno... Peoplesoft, for example. And once Larry has that market sown up, he's given away discontinued product at little or no cost for a very real and tangible benefit.

And being allowed to takeover Peoplesoft would, in its turn, give Bill another attack of heartburn and indigestion. Which has got to make the great man feel good...

Still dreamin'
HJR Received on Tue Sep 14 2004 - 01:33:41 CDT