Re: PITR involving physical db changes (new files/tablespaces)

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 13 Sep 2004 21:57:08 -0700

"Charles Davis" <cdavis10717_at_comcast.net> wrote in message news:<BpKdnYcXTtefmtvcRVn-tw_at_comcast.com>...

> I have very large SAP (2TB+) databases that are up and running for weeks at
> a time. During that time files are added to tablespaces as necessary. On
> very rare occasions a new tablespace will be added. Archiving is enabled.
>
> During a Point-In-Time-Recovery, which I haven't had to do yet, what will
> happen when during that recovery process a physical change is encountered in
> the archive log?

Dude, it's high time you got yourself a small db to practice recovery scenarios with. When (not if) your monster SAP db blows up will NOT be the time to "try out" new ideas...
But then again, WTH: that's just me and my "practice recovery" silly approach.

> I'd also appreciate being directed to a whitepaper or something more than
> just RTFM.

HJR already gave you some excellent advice. Get yourself a practice system and try out recovery scenarios. In the grand scheme of SAP gazzilion-dollar sites, a small test system is peanuts in cost. It will pay itself off first time you hit a problem with the bigmutha.

Document what works. WRITE it down: you WILL forget when panic strikes! Then try following all the steps in your doco one week later: if anything is not clear, change the doco to make it so. And you'll be half way there to a long life instead of a short-term heart attack.

PS:
RMAN is your friend. You NEED it. Received on Mon Sep 13 2004 - 23:57:08 CDT