Re: Open Source Oracle?

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 08:24:09 +1000

Glen A Stromquist wrote:

> I'm in the midst of designing a web page for someone I know with a Hotel
> business, and I can see that in the not-to-distant future if it grows
> much and they want online booking features etc.. it will need a database
> of some sorts in the back end, so it'll be time to learn MYSQL or
> something of the sort, anything but the detestable MSAccess.  An old
> version of oracle would suffice quite nicely for what I have in mind,
> but the dollars involved would make it out of the question.

Precisely, Glen. That sentence "An old version of oracle would suffice for what I have in mind" is the essence of the matter. Now why should Oracle give that functionality to you for free? Because one day you will want a feature that only its latest and greatest products will provide -but by then, you're a hooked Oracle-phile.

I've been spending a bit of time in the Suse newsgroup lately (as I think you might be aware!), and MySQL has a big mindshare there. I've even been tempted to have a look myself.

If you believe that Microsoft is a fool to ignore the threat/challenge that Linux poses (as I do believe), then it would be equally foolish of Oracle to allow MySQL to reign unchallenged in the 'proper but cheap' database market.

Of course it won't happen (I think I said that in my first post). But I honestly can't see why not, nor what Oracle has to lose in the matter.

Regards
HJR Received on Mon Sep 13 2004 - 17:24:09 CDT