Re: Open Source Oracle?

From: Glen A Stromquist <glen_stromquist_at_no_spam_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 22:18:25 GMT

Howard J. Rogers wrote:

> Dave wrote:
>

>>"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message

>>>I didn't think very much third party stuff got into Oracle until the dark
>>>days of embedded orbs and God knows what else hit us at 8i.
>>>
>>>Even so, an Oracle 8.0 with any and all 3rd party bits missed out is
>>>still likely to be a darn'd site more usable than MySQL, for example.
>>>
>>>Regards
>>>HJR
>>
>>Hi Howard, do you actually mean to release the source code, or just freely
>>distribute it with linux distros for example?

> Well, I'd settle for a freebie no-limits distribution with a linux distro
> (in other words, get rid of the licence that says thou shalt not train,
> store real data, or earn any money from this software).
>
> But no, I really meant to release the source code. I have a sneaking
> suspicion that Oracle is going in directions that many users find
> unnecessary (8 Exabytes per tablespace, anyone?). It would be nice if the
> open source community got a chance to construct an 'openOracle' that took
> things in the direction users actually wanted. A forked version off from
> the, say, Oracle 7 base would be worth looking at, I think.
>

>>I personally dont see the benefit of releasing the code, lots of benefit
>>in letting people have it use it for free (obselete versions as you day)

> That would get me 98.75% of the way to true happiness, as I say. So I
> wouldn't complain at all if that was all that was on offer.
>
> Regards
> HJR

An interesting idea no doubt, but I think chances are about as likely as   the proverbial snowflake in ....

I'm thinking how many web pages that are currently using 9i and paying big $$$ in license fees that could *probably* run ok on a "free" 8.0 or even 7.x and don't need all the bells & whistles you get now.

I'm in the midst of designing a web page for someone I know with a Hotel business, and I can see that in the not-to-distant future if it grows much and they want online booking features etc.. it will need a database of some sorts in the back end, so it'll be time to learn MYSQL or something of the sort, anything but the detestable MSAccess. An old version of oracle would suffice quite nicely for what I have in mind, but the dollars involved would make it out of the question.

cheers Received on Mon Sep 13 2004 - 17:18:25 CDT