Re: Open Source Oracle?

From: Thomas Kellerer <YEYERAIODLDG_at_spammotel.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 00:02:50 +0200

Howard J. Rogers wrote on 13.09.2004 23:47:

> But no, I really meant to release the source code. I have a sneaking
> suspicion that Oracle is going in directions that many users find
> unnecessary (8 Exabytes per tablespace, anyone?). It would be nice if the
> open source community got a chance to construct an 'openOracle' that took
> things in the direction users actually wanted. A forked version off from
> the, say, Oracle 7 base would be worth looking at, I think.

Hmm. I see FirebirdSQL and PostgreSQL going into an "enterprise" direction that might well compete with 7/8.0
Both (especially Postgres) seem to include more and more "enterprise" features and are thus closing the gap to Oracle. I do think that mid-sized Databases could well be run with any of them. So if you don't get Oracle for free, why not check out those that are free and offer similar features?

Btw: Sybase just announced that they are giving their Adaptive Server Enterprise for Linux away for free (http://www.sybase.com/linuxpromo)

Thomas Received on Mon Sep 13 2004 - 17:02:50 CDT