Re: oradim - return codes??

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 07:31:41 +1000

Joel Garry wrote:

> Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net> wrote in message

>> Gerry Sinkiewicz wrote:
>>

>> > "David" <goshengoogle_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> >>

>> > It might be better to just check if the DB is running.
>> >
>> > grep for smon from a ps -ef.
>>
>> Curiosity gets the better of me ... oradim on the same machine as 'ps
>> -ef'? (Pls explain!)

> http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/uwin/download.html
>
> jg
> --
> @home.com is bogus.
> :-]

It's fascinating to me that Cygwin and now this Uwin thing emulate (is that the right word?) Unix in a Windows environment. Is there much call for this sort of thing? Or is it merely for people who love Unix, but are compelled to use Windows because of corporate standards?

If you had a piece of Unix software you wanted to run, you would never go the Cygwin/Uwin route in production, would you?

I'd love to know why this software was ever invented, really. Seriously.

Regards
HJR Received on Mon Sep 13 2004 - 16:31:41 CDT