Re: MTS and Memory

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 05:19:29 +1000

Dave wrote:

> Howard J. Rogers wrote:

>> As I said, I could have posted that you are a complete moron for even
>> wanting to "bump up my SGA" without any supporting tuning diagnostic

> facts
>> or figures. I tried to be polite about it, and yes... moronically

> enough,
>> you dismiss someone who *is* actually helping by giving you the right
>> answer. It just happens not to be the answer you wanted to hear.
>>

> I'm sorry Howard, but you didn't help. You failed to understand the
> question

Actually, I answered *your* question correctly. The error I made was in a post to *Chuck*. I don't expect you to appreciate the difference, however.

> and responded with scarcasm.

Actually, it was irony. But whatever. Sorry if you are a bit of an old maid and can't take it without needing your smelling salts.

> I've unfortunately had to work
> with self-professed oracle experts like you before and I must say, its
> not an enjoyable experience. I pitty those around you.

I've never claimed to be an Oracle expert. It was you that claimed I knew nothing about it. I was merely pointing out that I probably know more about it than you've had hot dinners. Big difference.

> Blame your speed reading skills or your lousy interpretation of my
> question

What, you mean I misinterpreted the bit of your post where you said, in black and white, 'how much RAM can I give the SGA'?

> if you want but it doesn't dispute the fact that you jumped to
> conclusions. (I'll take part of the blame for not making my question
> more specific..)

Your question was 100% specific. It specifically asked how much memory you could throw at the SGA. I gave you a 100% specific and accurate answer.

> (Note: I took a quick glance through the oracle documentation and no
> where do I see a 50% value tossed around.. they just say to make sure
> your SGA and user connections fit in main memory..)

Why am I not surprised you only took a "quick" glance?

> <Lotsa stuff deleted..> I almost gave in and provided you details
> about our environment and why I had orginally asked the question:
>
> "Now my question is, since i'm using MTS how far can I bump up my SGA..
> Correct me if i'm wrong but only a portion of the PGA will be allocated
> outside of the SGA. So are there any formulas which will help me
> determine how large my SGA can be?"
>
> But it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize i'm asking a general
> question.

Excuse me??!

How "general" is "how far can I bump up my SGA" and "how large [can] my SGA be"? Not general at all, is the answer there. Those are stupid, specific questions, indicating a desire to tune by throwing memory at the SGA, and I tried to point that out to you. Nicely. But since that didn't work, let me be more specific: you're an idiot if you try tuning Oracle that way.

> In a perfect world I would have gotten 1 response with a
> formula on how to size an SGA within an MTS environment.

You did. The formula goes: run some actual diagnostics, analyse statspack reports, eliminate waits, and don't panic unless you're getting 4031 errors.

> I've done it
> for dedicated connections before and it worked like a charm but I
> haven't been able to find relevant information for MTS. But, since
> this isn't a perfect world I recieved a half ass response from a
> self-professed wannabe.
>
> It doesn't matter if i'm hitting 4031 errors or experiencing
> performance problems. Having a 'formula' would allow me to properly
> size my SGA instead of your method of hit and miss. Sure, I could have
> made an education guess and allocated to much or little to the SGA.
> Waited to see if I hit any 4031 errors and (de)allocated where
> necessary. But thats not how I like to operate, especially since this
> one environment brings in 500M$ a year in revenue. But hey, if thats
> how you like to work more power to ya.
>
> The reason I choose the term 'how far can I bump up my SGA' is because
> the database/application has outgrown the hardware/OS.

Well, of course, if you'd bothered to post just one iota of technical details, I might have known that, mightn't I?

In the absence of any technical detail whatsoever however, you'll forgive me, I'm sure, if I read merely what you actually wrote, and forego the mind-reading exercises you seem to want me to indulge in.

> You just jumped to conclusions
> determined I was tossing memory at a problem that may not have existed.

You can keep posting that if it makes you feel better. But I jumped to no conclusions at all. You wrote "how much can I bump up my SGA" and "How big can I make my SGA". Now you say that these were just phrases you chose to try and be general with...

Come off it! You've asked an idiotic question in an idiotic way and have had a fit of the vapours at the mere whiff of irony or sarcasm by way of response, and have thrown a tantrum accordingly. You descended to the level of saying I knew nothing about Oracle first. You have just compounded your idiocy by claiming I am a "self-proclaimed expert" and a "self-professed wannabe".

So: run off and play with your little formulas (of which there are none). And Plonk! Welcome to the kill file.
HJR Received on Mon Sep 13 2004 - 14:19:29 CDT