Re: Online creation/extension of Tablespaces possible??

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 07:59:17 -0500

On 11 Sep 2004 02:13:10 -0700, qazmlp1209_at_rediffmail.com (qazmlp) wrote:

>We have a requirement for increasing the size of the existing
>Tablespaces. In my understanding, this could be done in either of the
>following ways:
> 1.adding one more datafile to the tablespace
> 2.resize the datafile to a high value
> 3.autoextend ON for system datafile
>
>I would like to know whether the above operation i.e increasing
>Tablespace size through one of the above ways, can be done online(DB
>is running and Application also is using DB)?
>
>What about the case of creating new Tablespace? Can it be done
>online(on any HW model where Oracle is used)?
>
>Thanks!

In addition to Sybrand's question of "Where in the docs does it tell you it can't be done online?" I'd ask the question of where did you get the idea that it could be done any other way, ie: off-line -- without the database being up? If the database is not running, how do you think you'd execute the necessary ALTER TABLESPACE or CREATE TABLESPACE or ALTER DATABASE DATAFILE ... RESIZE statements? Received on Mon Sep 13 2004 - 07:59:17 CDT