Re: FAQ - Etiquette - and how to get an answer

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 00:50:37 -0400

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 22:09:22 +0000, Jonathan Lewis wrote:

> f)  RTFM is not a civilised answer. Although there may

> be questions that you feel deserve this response,
> it would be better to phrase it as a URL or other
> pointer to the appropriate bit of the manual.
I tried http://read_the_effing_manual.net but it doesn't work:

$ nslookup read_the_effing_manual.net
Note: nslookup is deprecated and may be removed from future releases. Consider using the `dig' or `host' programs instead. Run nslookup with the `-sil[ent]' option to prevent this message from appearing.

Server:         10.10.10.1
Address:        10.10.10.1#53

Which URL did you have in mind that would not only convey the information, but also the irony? Sarcasm or irony are necessary, because of the minimal effort invested in research before getting out and popping the question as if the group was an interactive manual page or a piece of CBT software, which I don't regard as very civilized. Now, here is the Blackadder situation: I'm asked to be civilized and don't respond to non-civilized people. That reminds me of Edmund Blackadder who was asked to fight Germans for the Queen Victoria, who was of German ancestry and married to a German. I believe that I understood you completely: You want me to turn this group into a WWI trench, with Blackadder in it. It's a tall order and I am shy and fragile little creature, but I'll do my best, with the extreme hesitation, of course. What is more, I have a cunning plan.........

--
A city is a large community where people are lonesome together.