Re: Trace file location

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 00:48:12 GMT

DK wrote:

> I recently had a trace file that eventually got to 15gb before the
> ORACLE_HOME directory was maxed out at 100%. I've sent the trace file off
> to Oracle and set the max trace file to 5mb. However, I see that in 9i the
> bdump\cdump locations are dynamic parameters. If I move the bdump location
> to a non-consequential file system other than ORACLE_HOME will oracle have
> problems if it can't write to the file system because of space problems when
> attempting to generate a trace file??

You have the information at hand to answer your own question. When your ORACLE_HOME directory was maxed out at 100%, did oracle have problems when attempting to generate [append to] a trace file? On a side note, did the system admins get paged when the filesystem reached 90% capacity, or some other agreed-upon service level commitment less than 100%?

When oracle writes to the filesystem, I'm pretty sure (not having access   to the source code) that it doesn't distinguish between write errors to ORACLE_HOME versus write errors to other filesystem locations. As Ana said, /dev/null is a non-consequential file system.

The various dump file locations (bdump, cdump, udump) have been dynamic for some time now, not just 9i.

BTW, how did you manage to send a 15 GB trace file to Oracle? Burn a multi-disk DVD and mail it parcel post?

--Mark Bole Received on Sun Sep 12 2004 - 19:48:12 CDT