Re: Problems with Oracle 10g EM

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 10:30:50 +1000

Pedro Lopes wrote:

> Hi mike...
>
> about the oracle_sid not defined.. I can't talk much. Try to
> define ORACLE_SID variable in your environment.
>
> About the loopback adapter you'll just need it if you dont have a fixec
> IP. If you're using DHCP it's a good idea to install the loopback
> adapter. A loopback adapter it's just a way to have a kind of "internal
> IP" that only you machine knows. This is usefull because of the bunch of
> files referencing IP that oracle uses. If your IP changes and you don't
> have the loopback adapter instaled then you'll have troubles :(
>
> bye
> pedro

Pedro is entirely correct.

But I have to ask: would you let your main File Server be assigned IP addresses via DHCP? Do you think it makes sense for your Print Server to have a constantly-changing IP address? And here's a bit of fun: let's assign a dynamic IP address to our DNS server (seen it done, unfortunately).

Changeable IP addresses and *any* server don't mix. Oracle is no exception.

That the loopback adapter fools Oracle into *thinking* it has a fixed IP address to work with should be your clue: dynamic IP addresses and Oracle is just a daft combination, and hoops are required to make it work at the best of times. And then only by making it appear as if DHCP is not involved in the set-up

That said, if you have to install Oracle onto a DHCP machine for learning or research purposes, then the loopback adapter is a life-saver, no doubt. But please don't do that sort of thing on a production machine!!

Regards
HJR Received on Sun Sep 12 2004 - 19:30:50 CDT