Re: Oracle 8.0.6 on Windows 2003

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 20:39:54 +0100

"Karen Middleton" <karenmiddleol_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:a5fd468a.0409120222.26000cc_at_posting.google.com...

>I need to install Oracle 806 on Windows 2003 for a legacy application

> that works only with Oracle 806 it is not certified for Oracle 816 or
> Oracle 9x or Oracle 10g.

Interesting question. Your app is only certified for an unsupported version of Oracle that will not run on any supported windows platform. If the client side is also 8.0.x then you will likely have the same issue with the client.

I'd suggest one of

  1. Run the app against a current version of Oracle.
  2. Do not change what you have now. (keep the legacy system running as is).
  3. Run against Oracle 8.0.x on some stable Unix box (at least you get a supported OS).

I'd plump for 2. It sounds from the tenor of your question that support is important to you and there is no way on earth to get all the elements of the system supported.

Obviously I'd also be looking for ways to migrate away from this vendor (and discuss with them why this is).

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA