Re: Google groups announcement.

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 15:31:21 GMT

Joel Garry wrote:

> All:
>
> Saw the google groups beta, created a group called Oracle Server.
> Naturally, I created it with my defunct email, so mail to the groups
> owner will go unread. Oopsie!
>
> Don't know how well it will work, as I got a page not found error
> during creation, but it did get created.
>
> Oracle-Server_at_googlegroups.com for email access. It seems you can do
> it like oracle-l, web access or email access. The google policy is no
> commercial postings!
>
> Enjoy!
>
> jg
> --
> @home.com is bogus.
> One organism, One newsgroup! Papoon for President!

I went, I saw, I joined. Not much activity... :-(.

Having used Yahoo! Groups for a non-profit, non-computer related activity before, I checked there for comparison. I was pleasantly surprised to find hundreds of Oracle-related groups, many with hundreds or thousands of members. Google has a long way to go to match the maturity and functionality of Yahoo! Groups, especially since Yahoo! bought the technology of some other group-servicing company a few years back (I forget their name). And I don't think the ads are much more intrusive than on Google.

Nothing wrong with some competition and diversity though, thanks for taking the time to set it up.

--Mark Bole Received on Sun Sep 12 2004 - 10:31:21 CDT