Re: Online creation/extension of Tablespaces possible??

From: Sybrand Bakker <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 17:17:29 +0200

Comments embedded

On 11 Sep 2004 02:13:10 -0700, qazmlp1209_at_rediffmail.com (qazmlp) wrote:

>We have a requirement for increasing the size of the existing
>Tablespaces. In my understanding, this could be done in either of the
>following ways:
> 1.adding one more datafile to the tablespace

Not preferred unless you hit the max datafile size for your O/S

> 2.resize the datafile to a high value
> 3.autoextend ON for system datafile

autoextend can be set on for the datafiles in the *affected tablespaces*, not necessarily the system tablespace.

>I would like to know whether the above operation i.e increasing
>Tablespace size through one of the above ways, can be done online(DB
>is running and Application also is using DB)?

Where in the docs does it tell you it can't be done online?

>What about the case of creating new Tablespace? Can it be done
>online(on any HW model where Oracle is used)?

You don't create a tablespace to extend your database. In fact you should always have multiple tablespaces, and you should NEVER EVER create end-user objects in the SYSTEM tablespace!!!

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA