Re: MTS and Memory

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 10 Sep 2004 16:55:06 -0700

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96533/memory.htm#47750

> > You were also told (by me) that unless you are suffering lots of
> > ORA-4031 errors (indicating that you are running out of memory in the
> > shared and/or large pools) you don't (probably) need to increase the
> > size of your SGA (specifically the large or shared pools) in the first
> > place.
>
> If there are excessive disk sort or hash operations, would that also
> indicate that more memory is needed? IOW, if I can't grab my
> sort_area_size or hash_area_size worth of memory from the large pool, would
> I throw an error or would I make do with less memory and go to disk?

They tell you to increase sort_area_size because of disk accesses.

column value format 999,999,999

select 'INIT.ORA sort_area_size: '||value from v$parameter
where name like 'sort_area_size'
/

select a.name, value
from v$statname a, v$sysstat
where a.statistic# = v$sysstat.statistic# and a.name in ('sorts (disk)', 'sorts (memory)', 'sorts (rows)')
/

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.