Re: What's wrong with these two ways of looking at wait events?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 19:37:48 +0000 (UTC)

You can answer this question in a variety of ways.

First - it is __unusual__ for buffer busy waits to be responsible for such a high percentage of the wait time. But that doesn't make them a problem, only an oddity worthy of further investigation.

Second - as you have done - get some perspective. It is 1.5 seconds per user per hour, so it isn't necessarily significant. But averaging things out can make you overconfident:   it could have been two colliding processes which each lost 730 seconds (12 minutes) in that hour. It could have been 10 sessions losing 14.6 seconds each on 10 separate executions of a particular screen refresh.

My reaction to seeing an unusual figure like that would be to start running snapshots against v$session_event for event = 'buffer busy waits' to see how the waits were distributed across sessions (at different times of day, possibly).

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Optimising Oracle Seminar - schedule updated Sept 2nd