Re: MTS and Memory

From: Dave <david.best_at_gmail.com>
Date: 10 Sep 2004 08:09:05 -0700

Howard J. Rogers wrote:
> Sorry... I don't know to whom this was addressed, since it doesn't
> follow the usual practice of *replying* to someone.

Sorry, I thought it was easy to follow a threaded conversation. By default google doesn't include previous posts. I'll do so now for your convienience.

> So I don't know if it was me that was making the half-assed sarcastic
> comments and not understanding what I was writing about, or not. But
> since I probably know more about Oracle than you've had hot dinners,
> I'll guess it wasn't me.

So, with all that knowledge about Oracle you didn't really understand MTS until Chuck corrected you? Your awefully full of yourself (too many hot dinners maybe?)

> I don't quite see what is wrong with either of those two pieces of
> advice, nor what is half-assed about them, nor what, particularly, is
> sarcastic about them.

Ok, sarcastic maybe not, condescending, yes. And we'll ignore that 50% of your advice (w.r.t MTS) was incorrect.

> The idea (which you appear to believe in) that you just bung memory
at
> Oracle and problems go away is Voodoo Tuning. That's perhaps a glib

Exactly where did I say I wanted to toss memory at Oracle, cross my fingers, do a little dance and hope performance gets better? I didn't. I asked for advice on how to tune the SGA in an MTS environment, more specifically I asked if anyone had any good formula's.

But did you help? No, you fired off a sarcastic comment about "Voodoo Tuning". And guess what, you got me on a bad day. Received on Fri Sep 10 2004 - 10:09:05 CDT