Re: Scanning the network for Oracle Instances

From: Yong Huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 10 Sep 2004 07:44:07 -0700

Pete Finnigan <plsql_at_petefinnigan.com> wrote in message news:<RRh4uUBRVWQBRxVe_at_peterfinnigan.demon.co.uk>...
> In article <1094786749.852349_at_yasure>, Daniel Morgan
> <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> writes
> >Latyr_Dev wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >> Is there a way to scan an entire network (LAN) to find which boxes have
> >> Oracle instances running
> >> If yes, will it be possible to identify what version they are.
> >> I came across some materials explaining how to perform this with SQL
> >> Server

> are a number of ways to do it. You are not searching for database though
> but listeners remember!. You can find listeners though and then query

Hi, Pete,

I'd like to add to your excellent message since you apparently focus on UNIX. On Windows, if you're an administrator in the domain, you *can* check for Oracle instances, not just listeners. The simplest way is to use resource kit tools such as

sclist \\remotehost | find /i "oracle" <-- "OracleService" may be better
or
pulist \\remotehost | find /i "oracle" <-- "OracleService" may be better

It's easy to write a simple WMI script. My pstats.hta (http://rootshell.be/~yong321/freeware/pstats.html) can also do it although its purpose is really for remote performance monitoring.

The beauty of sclist or a WMI script is that it can list Windows services even if they're not up and running. I understand the OP only wants to list running instances. But just for the record, on UNIX, you can get a hint on whether a remote host has Oracle databases on it, regardless whether the instance is up or listener is up or not, by looking at /var/opt/oracle/oratab and /etc/oratab. But it's not nearly as reliable as checking whether a Windows host has a service named like OracleServiceXXX.

Yong Huang Received on Fri Sep 10 2004 - 09:44:07 CDT