Re: Scanning the network for Oracle Instances

From: Chuck <chuckh_nospam_at_softhome.net>
Date: 9 Sep 2004 15:05:49 GMT

Latyr_Dev <Latyr_dev-remove.this-_at_hotmail.com> wrote in news:MPG.1baa23342c03c6c59896a6_at_news.free.fr:

> Hi
> Is there a way to scan an entire network (LAN) to find which boxes have
> Oracle instances running
> If yes, will it be possible to identify what version they are.
> I came across some materials explaining how to perform this with SQL
> Server

Not that I'm aware of. If you have a list of addresses you could try connecting to the listener at the default port. That won't tell you if there's a listener on another port, or an instance without a listener though.

If there's a names server you can access you can run "namesctl timed_query" or "namesctl dump_tnsnames filename" and then examine filename. This will only show you what's registered with the names server though.

--
Chuck
Remove "_nospam" to reply by email