Re: Oracle9i: How to pull LOB data via SQL*Plus ?

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 07:35:25 -0400

"André Hartmann" <andrehartmann_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:414016c2_at_olaf.komtel.net...
| > Of course it's legitimate. And you got told, "No, SQL*Plus has no
| > functionality for that, but PL/SQL does". *You* keep coming back here
| > as though dissatisfied with that answer, so if some of us regulars
|
| Yes I was told that in the other part of the thread by SB when he told
me
| the dbms_lob package has the functionality. I investigated my dbms_lob
after
| that and the only function in there that I found and thought COULD be
| helpful were some that take BFILE arguments. However from the BFILE
| documentation I gather that BFILEs refer to files located on the database
| server, not the client. So that does not seem to be suitable for me.
|
| My followup question there was which function(s) he was referring to
when
| saying the package does it. Unfortunately it remains unanswered.
|
| When I really find a way to do it throung PL/SQL (DBMS_LOB) that should
| open a possibility to do it through SQL*Plus, no ? Because one can use
| SQL*Plus as a gateway to the database and hence as a gateway to the PL/SQL
| functionality. That's my plan if only I knew what particular part of
PL/SQL
| / DBMS_LOB would do the job. Are there some samples outthere ? My 9i doc
| doesnt have them.
|
| AH
| :)

sql*plus cannot output binary data (answer is still 'no' ;-)) -- it has no capabilities for direct file output, just capturing what is spooled to the screen, which is always character data (and always contains newline characters)

you will need a program running on the client that opens the file, retrieves the BLOB into its variable(s), and writes the BLOB (probably in chunks) to the file

sorry, i forgot what you client tool of choice is -- perhaps you can post a new thread in c.d.o.tools for specifics with your chosen development tool (did you find out yet what would be the best interface for the customer?)

++ mcs Received on Thu Sep 09 2004 - 06:35:25 CDT