Re: Congratulations Howard Rogers

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 19:39:50 +1000

[snip]

Daniel Morgan wrote:

>  2CPU 1750s and they give me no hassle with
> Redhat. Check Dell's website ... maybe they have a ROM upgrade for you

Come on, Daniel. I am a bit of a techie! I do know how to do these sorts of things!!

Short answer: I have the latest BIOS revision for the Dell, arranged for it to be that way before embarking on anything, and it made no difference (in fact, it is still reported as a broken BIOS by the stock 2.6.8.1 kernel (meaning, I suppose, it has interesting....er, "quirks", though it nevertheless manages to navigate its way around the broken bits, and boots... to which end, have a search through the Kernel sources, and see how many hard-coded references to Dell and the required workarounds you turn up! You will find lots).

Wait for the project files to go up. When they do, you will see I canvassed and tested over 15 (if memory serves) distributions before carefully, and scientifically, deciding to go with Suse 9.1.

Cheers
HJR Received on Thu Sep 09 2004 - 04:39:50 CDT