Re: Clarification pls - Upgrade to 9205 with Security Patches Install Procedures (Solaris 9)

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 18:53:30 -0700

Verna Legaspi wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've already posted on MetaLink Forums... but hoping I could get some
> answers here as well... maybe faster? I know Oracle's been busy with
> Frances and all...
>
> Below is my post on MetaLink...
>
> TIA,
> Verna
>
> Can someone please clarify... and perhaps give me the available
> options? I have a production database on Oracle 734, Solaris 2.7.
> I'm trying to configure a new test/staging database on Solaris 9, with
> the latest version of Oracle 9i. That said... I'm assuming it'll be
> 9205 with the 2 Security Alert #68 patches (3811906 & 3835964) for
> Solaris 32-bit. I understand I can go directly from 734 to 920x, per
> MetaLink Note# 214887.1, "Upgrading Directly to a 9i Release 2 Patch
> Set." Is this correct?
>
> If so - what then is the best path? I believe this is what I have to
> do... but am unsure of exactly when to run the SQL scripts,
> considering I will be using export/import instead of the migration
> utility:
> 1. Install base 9201
> 1a. do not yet create database
> 1b. can't run any post-install SQL scripts (because no database)? --
> pls confirm
> 2. Apply 9205 patchset
> 2a. do not yet create database
> 2b. can't run any post-install SQL scripts (because no database)?
> 3. Apply Security Alert #68 patches for Solaris 9 32-bit & 9205.
> 3a. can't run any post-install SQL scripts (because no database)?
> 4. finally create database (catalog/catproc, etc)
> 5. import full production 734 database into 9205 database with
> security patches (3811906 & 3835964)applied
> 5a. finally, run 9205 patchset SQL scripts (catpatch.sql, etc)
> 5b. finally, run Security Alert #68 patch SQL scripts
>
> My probing questions... Is this the correct outline? Did I miss a
> step? Are they in the correct order? Are there steps I should
> eliminate? Do I have it completely wrong? What is the correct order?

Install 9.2.0.1 then go through the painful process of patching up to 9.2.0.5 then apply patches. Be sure when you are done to run utlrp.sql if there are any invalid objects.

BTW: Will we see you at the PSOUG meeting next Wednesday the 15th? Should be at Oracle's offices in Bellevue.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington