Re: Materialized View Log - do they shrink?

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 09:41:08 +0800

M Rothwell wrote:

> Given the following:
>
> Table XYZ on server A
> MViewLog MLOG$_XYZ on server A
> MView XYZ on server B
>
> If MView XYZ on server B is created as:
>
> Create Materialized view XYZ
> build immediate
> refresh fast with primary key
> as select * from xyz_at_serverA;
>
> when I refresh MView XYZ, does it do anything to the MVeiw log on server
> A? Does that log continue to grow and grow as table XYZ is updated even
> tho I have refreshed my MView on server B?
> If so, and I am concerned about space, then how would I go about keeping
> the MView log file small and not risk any data inconsitancies? I will
> have the MView in a refresh group updating 1 or maybe 2 times per day.
>
> Both server A and B are running O9i R2 on HP-UX boxes.
>
> Thanks

As rows are refreshed, the related entries should be removed from the materialised view log.

hth
connor

--
Connor McDonald
Co-author: "Mastering Oracle PL/SQL - Practical Solutions"

web: http://www.oracledba.co.uk
web: http://www.oaktable.net
email: connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com

Coming Soon! "Oracle Insight - Tales of the OakTable"

"GIVE a man a fish and he will eat for a day. But TEACH him how to fish,
and...he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day"