Re: How to duplicate 10g database?

From: Martin Bach <martin_bach_at_t-online.de>
Date: 8 Sep 2004 05:21:07 -0700

"Mr. Chow Wing Siu" <wschow_at_Comp.HKBU.Edu.HK> wrote in message news:<chjcc7$keo$1_at_net44p.hkbu.edu.hk>...
> Hi,
>
> I installed Oracle 10g on whitebox linux. It works fine.
>
> But I want to set up 3-4 sets database more on other
> identical machines. I like to use "dd" to clone the
> hard disk (offline the database of course).

You may want to consider RMAN's duplicate database command. That affectively clones a given DB and also assigns a new DBID to it. Comes in very handy and can be done via the network. If you have metalink access search for duplicate database. Requires some initial effort though, an example is given in $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/demo/case4.rcv.

HTH
Martin Received on Wed Sep 08 2004 - 07:21:07 CDT